Monday, January 2, 2017

INDOORS 17


As you can see, I have begun work on the bedroom door. I managed to take it off the hinges quite easily and lay it down ready to plane a little off the base, ready for when new carpet is lain.

I successfully got some wood off the base too. I found the giant 2-handed plane took large scrapes off and the tiny 1-hand plane filed it neater, though the painted edges still looked a bit rough when I had finished. That is when I began to run into trouble, and why I left the closet door until 'some other day'.

I did manage to screw it back into place - however - not successfully. It may look right, but it no longer shuts without a shove. Never mind - I will take it off and try again when I neaten the edges with a scraper tool tomorrow - or maybe the day after. If I still fail, I will call in our handyman or scream for Liz!

Sunday arrived and I began to polyfill the closet interior. I say began, as there are several large chunks of plaster missing and a few pieces about to fall out. The large chunk areas have been given a dose of polyfilla - but will take another blob or two to fill up completely once the first lot is dry.

I then began to tackle the closet door - or try to - but I could not get the screws out. This may be because I had just pushed a wheelchair around for 45 minutes meaning my arms did not have full 'oomph' - but it is more likely because the paint covering the screws is as old as I am - 50 - and the screws do not look like they have been unscrewed in the entire 63 years that this house has been standing. I will try again when I have full oomph. If I continue to fail, I will phone the handyman Liz and I use after the carpet layers take the doors off, if I still have trouble with it.

Yes, I took the bedroom door off again and gave it another plane. I had decided to try once more to perfect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment