Saturday, January 7, 2017

OUTDOORS 11


Christmas morning arrived and I went down the allotment in the light drizzle to collect some fresh veg for my meal. Because of the rain, I did not take many photos - just the one, encompassing the entire plot to show it at its winter best. I selected leeks and cabbage and my only carrot from the left, purple Brussels sprouts and rocket from the midst, and had a look over the rest of the plot before taking them home to add to the potatoes, artichoke, etc that I already had in storage.

This collection may not look very appetizing - but it became part of a 20-veg feast AKA 3 course veg-meal for my Christmas! Next up, my late December purchase of a blueberry bush. It has now been safely transplanted into the allotment fruit corner.

It is a variety that needs a partner to assist fertilization, which I hope to purchase soon - or next year, if I am too late. Back in the poly tunnel. I have emptied a couple of tubs and ripped some of the former tomato plants. I have refilled one large tub ready for my 2017 sowings, whilst parsley and cauliflower seedlings thrive.

In regard to my chili plants, which I am/was hoping to overwinter - The Chocolate Habanero on the kitchen windowsill and Cayenne on the coffee lounge windowsill are doing fine. The 2 Hot Lemons on the spare room windowsill are surviving, if looking a tad droopy - but their bro in the poly tunnel is suffering and alas, I think not going to make it thru.

In the soon-to-be-hedgerow border, 3 tulips have been added. Since originally writing this post a few days ago, I have planted 3 cauliflower seedling and a half dozen onions into tubs in the poly tunnel and dug out one blackcurant bush at the plot. If is had not been raining overnight, I would have been down the allotment today instead of sitting on my butt on the computer...

No comments:

Post a Comment