Sunday, January 26, 2014

WINTER WONDERS 8

Back to work after Christmas - I had planned to work on the walls over the holidays, not personally celebrating the event, but ran low on polyfilla and had to wait til the stores opened again. I picked up a new tube regular polyfilla - and a can of spray polyfilla to investigate.


I made a complete botch up of the first fill-in or two - where I broke off loose plaster and applied large globs of polyfilla. Severe sanding down was required prior to getting the paint tub opened! However, as I progressed I found a way of making the polyfilla application both easy and look good. Bye bye scraper-tool, hello disposable glove!
A friend had said that using a finger was easier, and this did appear to be the case. However, being a clean-freak that avoids chemicals as much as possible, I prefered to wear the disposable gloves that I had over from caring for my father.

The trick is to spray the polyfilla spray onto the area to be filled first. The second step is to apply a small glob of regular polyfilla to a gloved finger and work it in - repeating til the hole is filled - then smooth it over. A gloved finger makes the result much less lumpy than the tool - which I found pulled the polyfilla out more than smoothed it in. I did end up with a few splotches on the carpet though - but they seem to wear off easily.


No comments:

Post a Comment