Monday, January 20, 2014

WINTER WONDERS 4

This being the case, I planned to see what condition the step ladder in the polytunnel is in and possibly try to clean up the one in the side alleyway prior to tackling the bathroom. Shortly before Christmas, I decided to stop being lazy and get on with the halls and stairs painting. I had to decide which wallpaper to leave and which to remove. On the stairs in the lower hall, one piece was almost falling off, so I pulled it off, convinced the wall felt reasonable enough to strip.

 
A coffee-visitor gave their opinion, as someone who does their own redecorating, that all the wallpaper should be removed. I decided to tackle this task. The white bubble-paper was fairly easy to remove, having mostly fallen away from the wall anyway. Some of the other wallpaper came off easily, but some was reluctant to part from the wall.


Over the 60 years that the house was rented and then purchased by my parents, they had applied 3 coats of pink pastel patterned wallpaper - none of which I particularly liked. I am not a big fan of wallpaper of any type, to be honest. The friend who had popped round with another friend for coffee earlier, dropped off a machine later on...

This machine looked rather like a garden hose and weedkiller spray tub, and acted much as a steam-jet clothes iron. When applied for just a few seconds to the wallpaper, the wallpaper simply fell off! I was somewhat hesitant at first - but will agree that it definitely made the job extremely easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment