Thursday, March 6, 2014

WINTER WONDERS 19

I piled up the fence pieces ready to get a tip~trip lift. It was far too rotten to replace the fallen piece, though I did initially try to pick up the fallen panel. I therefore took a good look at the side fencing and discovered that three to four panels would also need replacing soon. I therefore plotted to hop over to Wickes whilst at Tesco, in order to purchase new fencing supplies.
I purchased a roll of PVC coated wire mesh fencing, 4 metal fence stakes, a ball garden string and a packet of u~tax. I now need to wait on a tip~trip lift from a friend to clear all the old rose arch and fence debris, so I can begin on erecting the new fence and rose arch.

You may wonder why I did not hire a fence contractor to replace the 4 rotting panels and/or why I did not plan on replacing them with wood. The main reason is that the winds have been very strong for 2 or 3 months and I wonder if we may now be likely to get them regularly, rather than once or twice a year.

I feel that mesh fencing may therefore be safer, as it will let the wind go right through. Also, most of the back fence stands by trees and hedge. This means the fence is basically a barrier or edge, rather than necessary to keep out unwanted beings. Additionally, my father paid over 150 pounds to have two panels replaced professionally last year. This means to replace four it would work out 6 times more expensive than my purchase of fencing supplies and personal labor. Two further reasons are that I prefer the look of mesh fencing to wooden panels and that I can fix it a few inches above ground level to continue to allow access to hedgehogs and squirrels, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment