Friday, March 14, 2014

WINTER WONDERS 22

Now we jump into a sunny Monday in the final week of February and my next bash at turning my recently inherited dump into a palace. It was sunny and there was no rain or wind, so I decided to get outside and tidy the front yard. I trimmed the elderberry stump, prickly bush, holly and privet, or at least, all but the top few strands of prickly bush.

You can now see the trees further down the street over top our hedge. At some point, I may eradicate the prickly bush as it serves little purpose other than being a border and holding up the flimsy plastic green fencing my father once erected. When I was a child, it was all privet. I think I will leave the holly and elderberry, but gradually cut back/out the prickly hedge.

As you can see, I still have much to do in the front yard. The removed kitchen table and tubs left 2 large clomps of soil with baby carrots once growing in them in my front yard. The plan was to dig over the entire yard before the bulbs shot out and reposition the plants and bulbs to my liking. however, the bulbs have already begun to sprout and flower. Hopefully when spring arrives next week there will be less rain/wind, and i shall then be able to reorganize the front yard to my liking after the bulbs have flowered.

In the meantime, I have cut back almost all the garage side hedge, pruned a rosebush, and piled up a pile of hedge cuttings to die down/take to the tip. As I look forward to spring, I can say that there is definitely plenty more work to be done both inside and out. The next outside work being pond maintenance/digging over the veg plots and the next indoor work progressing along the lower hall with Tibetan Gold and stairs with Cookie Dough. I am also plugging away at Ebay and Gumtree and Freecycle, attempting to empty the house of stuff I don't want....

The hedge trimming gave me a few minor cuts...

No comments:

Post a Comment