Sunday, October 2, 2016

OUTDOORS 2


This shot shows what is left in the patch that used to be strawberries and my pinky-purple plant from Liz. The purple plant is another plant Liz gave me last year and it seems to have survived the poison/bindweed, so I will leave it til it spreads then transplant some of it.


Mid-September and the poly tunnel is productive. Here we see the tomatoes - some are almost over but others are just beginning - and all are producing or have produced plenty of cherry toms! You can also see my bucket spud and some of the basil in this shot.


Here is another clump of baby cyclamen - this patch is situated under what used to be a rose arch and will be a step thru between two rose bushes without an arch when I have fixed things after the bindweed falls away. I am fed up of fixing the arch, and don't even want it really - one rose can be tied to the walls of the house and the other will grow up the palm-thing.

At the plot, I am harvesting the last of my new and salad potatoes and the first 1/3 of the King Edwards. If my method of wrapping them in kitchen towel and storing them in the bread bin/cardboard boxes works, I can dig them all out before September in future years - but I am cropping them slow but sure this year, in case soil is the better storage option despite wire worm.

As well as spuds, Nasturtium flower, leaves, and now seeds are in abundance, autumnal raspberries that survive the raspberry bugs, the first rocket leaves, and the last of the corn have all been coming home with me - I also have some more runner beans to pick, shell and either use as dried bean or bean only beans.

The penultimate week of September saw me adding compost to the well-dug was-spud area in preparation for autumn/winter crops such as broad bean and garlic which will go in in 2-4 weeks time.

No comments:

Post a Comment