Saturday, September 24, 2016

OUTDOORS 1


Here is where we were at at the start of September. A newly erected fence next door, allowing me safe access to my own yard with plenty of work to be done.


After digging out about 4-5 kilo spuds to carry home in the early morning, I went back to my allotment plot just before lunch to dig the area over, pull a few weeds, and dig out the grass clumps that used to be a path. The above shot shows the area I dug over looking towards my shed, while the photo below shows it from the shed looking back over the dug ground...


...and you can see where I stuck a few stray garlic/onions that decided to grow late/not grow, in the hopes of something happening. You can also see some pumpkinny-squashy things growing - not sure what they are yet as they came up from the compost!


It is now Mid-September and here is my kitchen windowsill filled with ripening/drying/storing crops. I am currently grabbing 5-15 cherry toms per day from the poly tunnel, have a few more runner beans going to seed on the plants at the plot, and am harvesting a few bramleys as and when I bother to - I always have far too many of those cooking apples and allow the magpies and blackbirds to take their share as well as making annual apple drops on Edna, and Liz, and...


In the garden at this time of year, the mini-cyclamen are showing colors - purply mauve and whitish mauve. This is one of 2-3 clumps, taken by the end fence under the hedgery.


Finally for today, a shot of under the small eating-apple tree. I don't much like these apples - they only grow to a small size and the tree is poorly situated and 'in the way'. I have ideas to cut the tree out and replace it with a cherry tree - I like cherries more than apples, and would still have the bramley tree.

You may notice I transferred Liz's pinky-purple flowered silvery velvet plant here - my neighbor appeared to have poisoned the weeds along the shared fence where it was before, and due to rain some poison seems to have seeped thru - I therefore cannot eat my corn, mint, coriander, parsley, turnips....and have decided to move my favorite plant - just in case!

No comments:

Post a Comment