Sunday, October 16, 2016

OUTDOORS 4


It is the end of the first week of October and here are my leeks - as well as 2-3 onions, one carrot and 2 cabbages. They look shabby and need some rain! Everybody's leeks are the same. I was not impressed to find someone/thing had removed an entire leek when arriving this monring though - but have not had much trouble previously with theft.


This shot shows I have dug over and edged 1/3 the plot. At the shed end I shall plant borad beans, garlic and onions, while at the camera end I shall transfer fruit.

The second week is now done with and I have progressed by planting a few garlic/broad beans, transferring most of my fruit (2 gooseberry bushes and some raspberry canes to go), and digging over the soil.


At home, the rose arch that was begining to tip over in the wind has gone down to a further angle. It is maybe soon time to remove it altogether, trim the rose bushes, and tie them to something more suited - the house and the palm-thing, perhaps.


Back at the plot in the middle of the month, here is a shot of the over-winter season bed at the front of the plot, just behind the shed. The melon/squash things will probably be too late unless we have an exceedingly mild winter, but can be pulled and popped in the compost once we have a frost. They were free and they came up from the compost, after all.

You can see a row of small green seedlings next to them - that is either kale or spinach. I planted a row of both and one set came up - but it is too small to tell which as yet. A few garlic, broad beans, and onions add to the area, and you can see where my shoes/boots have begun to create a mud pathway.

I have decided not to have grass or stones as path - too messy and not as manouverable. Mud pathways are better - cost-free and can be dug out and moved to new locations whenever I fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment