Tuesday, May 10, 2016

THE PLOT 9




My friend gave me a lift to Wickes, where we grabbed roofing supplies to fix the shed roof. This was done middle of April, alas the weather postponed their usage and I am still awaiting fine weather for a few days in a row before ripping shreds off, removing batons that have not yet fallen off, gluing the new felt down, tacking it down, and re batoning it down. She had also offered me the use of her ladder so I could do this job properly - and then hopefully I will not need to fix the roof again for some years.


Alas, her husband had an accident and therefore the ladder borrowing is on hold for now. In the meantime, I picked my first crop for 2016 - 5 large stalks rhubarb. This made a crumble and enough stewed rhubarb for two more sits in the freezer. I recalled what I was told about feeding the rhubarb when picking - and promptly fed the remainder of the plant - which promises multiple further pickings during the next few months.

Frosts were recurring. This necessitated the covering of already spotted potato shoots. I had found 2 then 4 then 12 then almost 20 on successive trips to the plot across the 3rd week of April - and on my last two trips I had to take action to protect the new growth so as not to lose my anticipated huge harvest.

Having never grown potatoes in bulk before - previously growing 7-8 plants maximum, but now 7.5 kilo seed potatoes - I am hoping that this will eliminate potato purchases from Riverford - allowing me to buy other organic products that I cannot grow - lemons, bananas, mangoes, limes, red wine, hommous...

This meant fixing the spuds so the frost did not murder the crop! I had been given various advice from sources as spread as fellow allotment plotsters and a gardening book given to me by Liz- and formed a few possible plans. The first time I popped grass clipping over top and the second a little sprinkling of soil. Hopefully this will save the day - if not, my broad beans, onions and rhubarb are all doing exceptionally well.

No comments:

Post a Comment