Wednesday, November 26, 2014

GARDEN GLIMPSES 10


The above shot shows how many purple berries we currently have (written in late October) to attract the birds over winter. It also shows a metal spoke I cannot shift. When I took down the tattered plastic fencing that my father erected, I was left with a gate post and a metal stick protruding above the wall.




The weather was fairly warm in late October and early November, so I dug over the main veg plot and replanted what was left of the calendula and mooli and my 'Guru Purple' chili plant. Later on, I dug over the second plot and discovered two potatoes I had missed before - nice big ones!

The third week in November arrived, and I wanted to take a look around at what jobs might need doing over the next month or two. The leaves of the tree outside next door's house have mostly fallen as you can just see above the mass of camelia in this picture. Plenty of buds - ready to burst - on the plant that generally flowered from Christmas thru Easter according to my late father... (The straggly stuff is dying off passionfruit vines.)



The path - which my father grumbled about being uneven - has a nice lumpy bumpy effect in my eyes and shall not be 'fixed' to a smooth finish but left to wear away naturally until cracks go right through the 6 inch block! I shall however trim the flowering weeds and ivy back to the edge of the path on the left.

From today's final picture, you will see that there is still plenty of color before the camelia flowers. The purple-berry tree, exceedingly late flowering fuschias, and cotoneaster berries add reds and purples. The purple berries, red berries, and prickly shrub berries are all tasty treats to our birdlife.



No comments:

Post a Comment