Wednesday, November 5, 2014

FALL CLEANSINGS 25

Regular readers may wonder what became of the gooseberry and ginger wine that I attempted to create - a few months ago. On the 18th October, I tried to bottle it up. I successfully carried both wine-making-jar and 6 empty and cleaned bottled to the sink area and extracting/rinsing through the 'syphon'

I additionally successfully inserted said syphon into wine-making-jar and did as I had witnessed my dad do - the only experienced wine-maker in our family, and now deceased. It took me several attempts to get more than a small shot of wine into the syphon - possibly due to the syphon being longer than that used by my father, and possibly due to my syphon being of inferior quality - or perhaps just due to my inexperience.

Finally, after a few attempts, I succeeded in filling 6 empty bottled with the 'mixture' I hope is wine...and making a bit of a mess. I ended up putting the bottles lower than the wine-making-jar in order for the syphon to function correctly - and could not 'one-handedly' turn on/off the syphon flow twister. (One-handed as in holding the tubing to ensure no kinks occurred.)



I now have 6 bottles sitting in the sink, rinsed off and the former fruits removed to my compost tub. Whether this will or will not be 'wine', I am uncertain though - there was very little bubbling in the bubbler thingy, and I recall my father's wines bubbling persistantly for weeks...

We shall see... I have either made a mistake to learn from or 6 bottles of non-sparkling white GOOSEBERRY & GINGER WINE. Next, I prepared to create the next batch of wine - banana and butternut!



Here is the result of banana chopping and butternut cutting. The fruits were thrown into the wine-making jar along with a tablespoon mollasses and heaped teaspoon cooking yeast and much spring water, early one morning in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment