Friday, April 22, 2016

THE PLOT 8

On the first Monday in April, I came back from a coffee trip armed with 3 sheets of Myplex from the friend I had shared coffee with. Within a couple of days I had encountered a fairly good weatherwise day with a little free time, so taken it along to the allotment plot to place around my blackcurrant and gooseberry bushes.



This was successfully applied and fastened down with a mixture of bricks, hooks, and a wooden board. As you can see from the second picture, the fruit bushes are beginning to shoot with new growth for spring and the rhubarb is doing exceptionally well with the estimated 'first rhubarb crumble of 2016' date for the latter half of April.


Jumping to the front half of the plot for an update - from the bean canes forwards is empty - currently - and ready to fill. I hope to pop a few beans, tomatoes, peas, and some salad crops in the patch already dug over and ready. I shall need to dig out some patches of the grass pathway to fit in the corn and other planned crops, though. The Myplex down this end was left on the plot by the previous plotster and is currently being used to kill off the grass ready to dig over for one batch of crops later in the season.


Oooh, look! I have a strawberry in flower - yes the crops are doing well, plenty of growth and it is getting exciting drooling over the delicious self-grown produce that awaits me later on. The onion sets I planted not so long ago are shooting healthily and there are plenty of flowers on both batches of broad beans! (& not a black fly in sight - yet!)



My final shot for today's post is of the plot taken from the back. Here you can see the garlic and broad beans - followed forwards by the potato area - and I have ONE spud shoot up to date - the new strawberry bed, mixed patch and shed. To the right hand side of the picture, you can see beyond the fruit patch to the second batch of broad beans/garlic, onion beds, raised bed with frame ready to roll with melon/butternut/nasturtium/squash, strawberry old bed and weed basket.


No comments:

Post a Comment