Sunday, February 21, 2016

WINTER WONDERS 39



February 2016 began and my first task was to nip outside at the end of the first week to use the spare mortar on whatever holes I could find that might be making the spare room corner wall damp. I managed to find 2-3 hidden behind  our cotoneaster and apply mortar. Hopefully it set before the rain washed it off and hopefully also it will allow the damp patch to be dried up by the heating within a week or so.


The next task was to 'tidy up' a few loose ends in the spare room, while awaiting the result of the attempted repair to the damp patch. During the second week of February, I took down the net curtains for a second cleanse. I had rinsed them through quickly once, but they really needed an overnight soak, necessitating this second step.


Once back in position, the front window looked good and was ready - along with a pair of flower pots, one containing chili seed and the other tomato. Hopefully they will sprout into happy seedlings, while the only heated room is heated to eradicate the damp patch - which thankfully is now receding, despite more rain.



Losar meant the rinsing through and rehanging of three strands of Tibetan prayer flags. While the largest was resituated across my bedroom wall and middle-sized Medicine Buddha flags across the window, the smaller strand was rehoused in the spare room. You will also see a pair of red ceramic swans. I do not particularly like them, but as they are a similar burgundy color to the drapes and also the metallic paper I will be covering the former fireplace with, I figured that they can stay.

I have decided to leave the cream over-paint of the 'playful pink' trim, windows and door until I repaint the room in 5-10 years time, as it does not look 'as bad' clash-wise as I originally thought.


Next up, this dirty, moldy, monster was to be replaced. My parents and I have opposing tastes in decor and color preferences, and most of what they left in situ when passing away is going to be gotten rid of. Thankfully I have a friend with good taste in decor who recently had their bathroom refitted, so gave me their former bathroom cabinet which is in good-as-new condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment