Thursday, February 18, 2016

THE PLOT 4



This shows the area to the front of my rhubarb clump which was partially covered in plastic pieces and bags, a small hill like area of I assume a combination of manure and weeds. I am clearing it gradually...


Here is my poly-covered cold frame - complete with multiple measures to ensure the wind does not have the ability to remove the poly completely. Inside you can find more broad beans and garlic, a couple onions - and where I did have some pak choi - most were munched, but I took one home to continue growing in the poly tunnel.


Here you can see the area cleared and manured ready for my 2016 artichoke and onion crops. The artichokes are already buried in situ, along with around a dozen of the onions I started off at home. The rest should get planted by the close of February, if weather permits. I hope to have enough space for a patch of corn or tomato too...

You can also see my third raised bed - empty - and ready prepared for my 2016 melons, squash, and nasturtiums! (This has since been filled with starwberry runners and one of th strawberry beds manured ready for said crops).


Between the raised beds and shed, you will spot a patch with 2 blackcurrant bushes, but otherwise empty. This is where my beans and other crops will go, until I see how much room is left after my spuds and onions are planted. There is a little grassy-weedy area in addition to these patches, which will be cleared and used for marigolds, salad crops, radish, carrots, etc.


Finally here are my two strawberry beds. In 2017, I aimed to move the runners into the third raised bed and clear these raised beds for salad crops/spreading and trailing plants, before collecting runners to re-fill one of the beds the following year. But this past week I decided to fill the spare raised bed with the runners and manure up the new spare bed for my 2016 crops. I now aim to transfer the oldest strawberry bed next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment