Wednesday, July 11, 2018

INDOORS 56


Here you can see my work late June, with a painted back door drying in the warm air and the foot pouffe positioned in the coffee lounge as the only seating til such time as I select purchase and install a 2 seater lounge and coffee table.



Next up, my son dropped the toilet seat/lid too heavily and a chunk of the rim fell into the loo. The plumber has been notified that we will need a new toilet bowl installed...sigh.


In more happy news, I mixed and baked a wholemeal spelt dinner bap and filled it with homemade vegan mozzarella and homegrown lettuce one lunchtime - YUM - definitely not fast food! Meanwhile - the crops keep pouring in. As June ended and July began, strawberries petered out to 2-3 a day, while raspberries stole the limelight with a medium freezer bag full being cropped daily and gooseberries came in third.


As you can see, the large pineapple-flavor ones are gigantic this year - I added some regular purple ones to show comparison! Some of these monsters are bigger than brussels sprouts! I also dug up the shallots on the final day of June.



I was cropping so many raspberries, and unlike the strawberries I cannot eat 2-3 dozen a day and freeze the rest - just a handful every 2-3 days. The freezer was therefore not going to take them all and despite giving a bag to Liz and a bag to the lady who likes raspberries I often stop to chat to on my way to/from the plot, I decided to throw a couple kilo in a pot and make raspberry syrup - to float rhubarb and gooseberries in for making pies and crumbles. More crops to pick....sigh. It means spending a half hour a day watering and at least a half hour a day cropping in June/July, unless it rains...but its worth it for the delicious real foods!

No comments:

Post a Comment