Tuesday, June 28, 2016

THE PLOT 14


June seems to be THE month for crops - so far. Here is the first shot of a haul after a plot trot one day. Except for the mint, which came from the garden, everything came back home with me from the allotment the second week of June.


The middle of the month provided me with a couple of days when I could spend a couple of hours working the plot on two consecutive days. The above shot shows the mess-patch up front. Sited between the weed bin and compost bins/shed, this area contains this and that all thrown in together. You will find tomatoes, peas, 2 types of bean, cabbage, turnip, corn, and even one brussel sprout!


Here we see the main strawberry bed which has so far given me 4-5 bowls of fruit - YUM! Behind it are several healthy nasturtium plants, which I will use the leaves and flowers of in salads when my tomatoes and onions are ready to munch. Alas, there should be a dozen melon, squash, zuchini...but every single seedling that grew got munched up by something. Past that, is my artichoke and onion bed, partially weeded, with the former broad bean site fulled weeded, composted, and ready to go - except I have a few garlic still in situ.


Here is a shot of today's work - my former broad bean and garlic patch fully weeded, edged, and tidied up. I still have several garlic to pull once there is room on the kitchen windowsill to dry them. I have also popped in a dozen or so tomato plants. Behind to the left are my first earlies - almost ready - potatoes, and behind right is my fruit area - where the gooseberries are getting fatter, blackcurrants begining to ripen, and raspberries galore - still looking somewhat brown and dry. (Never mind, it is raining as I type)


My final shot from mid-June shows the second 'new' strawberry bed with the onions behind and it is surrounded by the salad spuds with the main crop behind. All looking nice and healthy at the moment...

No comments:

Post a Comment