Sunday, September 20, 2015

FALL CLEANSINGS 39


Before tackling the lounge, I removed family pictures from the windowsills. As you can see by the muck behind them, they had been in situ for several years - though I had cleaned behind them at least twice during the years I moved back in and became my Dad's carer.



I took the covering off the old settee and got to work one Friday, somewhat reluctantly as the task of sawing up a sofa was not exactly exciting. You can see how it looked when I was a child in the above photo - before it was recovered by a cheap sofa cover. We used to have a pet cat as I grew up - and it used the sofa as a scratching post - hence the ratty arm edge.



I began by turning it upside down and rescuing 3-4 fat-bellied black spiders. I caught these in a sugar bowl and tossed them into the yard sadly. They may only be bugs, but I felt upset having to throw them out of their home.

I managed to saw part of an arm off - but then hit a problem. It sounded and felt like something metal in there. The saw was borrowed from a friend, and so not wanting to risk damaging it, I stopped. After a moment's thought, I decided to pay my son a bottle of beer to help me out. He agreed to smash the sofa into pieces in exchange for a bottle of Brooklyn.

Saturday arrived, and he pushed, pulled, smashed, whacked, and tugged - while I trod and sawed. The result being...

...success! (& my friend's saw was not damaged!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment