Wednesday, September 3, 2014

GARDEN GLIMPSES 3

This was my veggie patch - with a now invisible path running down the center. I have begun to tidy it a little in preparation for cropping and a final seasonal plant. I have beans and potatoes growing under the bindweed and other weeds. Some of the weeds are good for compost and will end up in the tub, but the rest will be hacked out and thrown to dry and die in a corner. I will harvest the crops, dig the area over and hopefully plant some radish or over-winter crops within the upcoming week. I did plot to do this today, but it began to rain. Here you can see how far I got. I have begun to clear the area around my strawberries and mint. Next step is to go further along...

...which I did a few days later. Only 2 days ago (from time of writing), I dug over the second area of veg plot as well, meaning that two thirds of my veg plots are now weeded, dug over, cropped, and replanted! I currently have calendula, Japanese radish, potatoes, and leek planted.


As you can see in the above picture, the miniature cyclamen have popped out along with a late showing of baby violets.

As shown in this picture, the bramley tree still produces much fruit. I managed to crop almost 2 dozen apples with the help of the long handled pruner prior to their becoming windfalls. Half of these were given to a friend and the rest stewed and frozen. Apples are not my fruit of favor, and I tend to only eat a little at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment