Sunday, September 21, 2014

GARDEN GLIMPSES 4



In the garden things are progressing far more rapidly than indoors with renovations/decorating/reorganizing. From this next photo, you will see that I have begun to weed, crop, dig over, and replant my veg plots. I cropped a half dozen spuds and 2 broad beans from this area alone. The next area to work on during August was the pond - seriously in need of a major overhaul. 






From my mud-stained t-shirt and filthy trackpants, you would have assumed  that 'some attention' was paid to the pond. My father had probably not attended to it at all within the past decade...





I cleared out 2 dozen buckets smelly muddy water, half the main pond plant, and 9/10th the pond-side lily plant. I then tossed in 2 dozen buckets fresh water. This has resulted in a more-water, less-plant pond ratio, enabling clearer water to be within the pond...but...the algae is yet to be removed. 

It has also allowed more visibility of the pond, with less green stuff obliterating the view. I figure that in time, if I continue my 6-10 buckets of clearage/refill per week, and sweeping the pond surface, the algae should eventually be under control, allowing for a decent habitat for our frogs.

As I post this, the pond has indeed lost much of the algae and contains a minimum of 4 frogs. I have been sweeping the algae clear every 3-4 days and dumping some scoops along with pond mud/leaves onto my newly growing potatoes...
 













No comments:

Post a Comment