Saturday, August 30, 2014

GARDEN GLIMPSES 2

The pond also requires some attention. I have been spending a day each week scooping off the algae, removing leaves and fallen twigs along with gunky smelly stuff in a bucket scoop, and replacing lost water by can. however, this does not appear to be sufficient. I may either have to do a complete turnout or do these actions more often than once a week to ensure the water is no longer smelly.


In the middle of August, I did a major pond maintenance session. I scooped out about two dozen buckets of filthy murky water and wrenched out half the pond-plant and 9/10ths the pond grass. The pond had not had any serious maintenance done for many years and both plants were severely overgrown. 

I ended up somewhat splashed and muddy from my efforts, but spotted a couple of frogs whose heads popped up during my pond-work, to investigate what I was doing to their home. Hopefully they will appreciate my spring cleaning!

A few days later, I scooped the algae off from the surface and hopefully have now ended any major pond maintenance for the year.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment