Sunday, September 11, 2011

FIRST THINGS FIRST – my room


So, what has been done so far, since I returned in December 2009? Well, when I first arrived back in the country, this is how my 'room' looked.
As you can see by the above photo, taken within days of my return, I had a lot of work to do before I could call it my 'room' – it had been turned into a cross between a janitor's closet and a museum storage room. Old mops, spider-web brushes, boxes of my parents' junk, etc all lay in my living space.

Initially there was no room to move anything large. I could not organize the furniture as I chose, see what bits of my past remained in the blocked in closet, or do little more than use the bed and live from inside my 2.5 suitcases that had come with me from my former 3-bedroom home in Australia.

As a teen, I had decorated this room – the carpet, walls, doors, were painted much as they are in the above photo – but my lovely black ceiling had been repainted and the avocado green windowsill had become grass green. I will not bother at all with the greens in the color scheme when repainting – but I would have been happy to have retained my black ceiling until I can afford to decorate it once again. However, before repainting my room, there was much more to be done. 

The room morphed into being livable in within a few weeks –  

but until a spot of spring cleaning and then a computer purchase, 
I could still not place the furniture where I chose.
Currently, the furniture is where it will remain until replaced. Here is a basic floor plan of the current layout.    





2 comments:

  1. That looks like a pretty cozy space. But don't you have a chair or something for your computer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do now - my son bought a nice black office chair but gave it to me as he preferred my old avocado van gogh one! It is on wheels though, so I forgot to put it on my diagram!

    ReplyDelete