Saturday, September 24, 2011

FIRST THINGS FIRST - the bed


I used several non-bed items as a bed during my teenage years. It was my own choice, I was offered a new bed. I preferred a mattress on the floor, garden lounger with doona on top, and then to act carpenter and make my own bed from a pile of wood.

I worked out the surface size and ordered a piece of hardboard with wooden boards to go under it. I also allowed for legs – and a bit spare. When the wood came, several nails, one hammer, a saw, a pencil and some weird noises occurred and I ended up with a 5-legged bed. I used the fifth leg to support the 4 wobbly legs - as extra security...


 
After a time, I preferred a mattress on the floor again, so used my bed as a giant table – and began doodling all over it. A lot of hippie cartoon style doodles and the names of favored friends appeared. That is how it was left when I migrated to Australia. On my return, I had to use it as my bed again – mainly because there was no other space to place a mattress!

Currently, I have taken off the legs and placed them flat on the floor below the sticking out nails that once held them in place. I was using it as a five legged bed - until one morning when I sat up in bed 2 of the legs collapsed under me. Since then, I decided a low-to-floor bed to be preferable to banging the legs back on and risking it collapsing during the night.

A thin small mattress lies under a proper single bed one. I was used to a double bed in Australia – but having to move a bedroom, study, and Yoga room into the space of one bedroom I do not have room for a larger bed even if I wanted one, here. It does – I sleep....

No comments:

Post a Comment