Saturday, September 17, 2011

FIRST THINGS FIRST - the first shower


The bathroom taps have changed since I arrived in December 2009. As I re-encountered the bath, I recalled that Dad does not have a shower. I had been used to a piping hot shower every 1-2 days – but now had to make do with crouching in the bathtub and using a large sized coffee plunger jug to pour water over me – filling it up and turning on/off the taps as I went.

Once my son arrived, a year after I did, he too was used to a daily shower. He was not too happy to hear he could either have a half filled bath or use a coffee jug to pour water over himself – and it was not long before I explained to Dad that WE both wanted a shower and that the next thing I was going to spend my housekeeping money on would be a makeshift shower.

Initially I looked into buying a shampoo hose – but the taps were the wrong shape – so I called a plumber who gave a quote on installing new taps with a makeshift shower fixture.

I hired the plumber to install the makeshift shower, which included removing the old taps and installing a mixer tap over the bath. This was much better than the previous taps anyway. It was not long before I mastered the art of the new shower – use the old coffee plunger jug to fill with water from the hot tap as it began to run warm and dip in the soap to lather and soap up – then change to the taps and shower fixture to rinse off.  

The difference was quite dramatic. I am currently in the process of even more drastic measures involving bathroom improvements, but...



No comments:

Post a Comment