Friday, August 12, 2016

SUMMER SLOSHING 19



This is what remains in the ornament cabinet - or china cabinet as my parents used to call it. Two broken clocks and a pile of pottery I made at school. I think all these will end up in the trash. This leaves the cabinet itself...which I do not really want either. I currently tolerate it as it doesn't look too bad with the upper hallway color scheme, but I do not want to retain it long term - so if you know anyone who wants it, do let me know.


I was toying with the idea of housing my wine glass collection in it or possibly putting my Buddhist alter/practice items inside - but I really do not like the cabinet itself - it's old, the wood isn't clearly one shade, and it has horrid-to-clean metal lumps of decor on it. Yes, that makes it 'beautiful' to some people - but not to me. To me it makes it ugly and unwanted.


This shelf is now more or less empty and so I took it downstairs into the coffee lounge and stuffed it full of the bric-a-brac - AKA 'vintage junk' - that I have as yet to dispose of. That leaves the cabinet free to sell if anyone wants it. Henry helped me clean the webs from the walls afterwards....


In more progressive news, the evening after the garage sale I made the penultimate paint attack in the toilet. The loo roll holder, 2 pipes and window area needed a gloss undercoat. I hope to top coat later in the week, leaving me only touch-ups before the room is finished.


I need to touch up one wall where a smudge/smear has appeared. I did not create the mark, and think my son must have rubbed something off the recently painted wall - what I do not know. I will probably also need to get underneath the pipes when I am not avoiding potential recently painted toilet roll holder drips, and add an extra coat on the roll holder as it is bound to get stuck to itself...

The room will more or less be done then, although I am toying with the idea of tiling the floor. My father had carpet in therr and I really did not like the idea of carpet in a toilet. I managed to use the housekeeping savings to buy linoleum for the bathroom/toilet and that would work fine. Alas, the problem with the lino is that my son is a bit messy and the lino has discolored and got grotty. I realize I can scrub it clean with vinegar or lemon juice or soapy water - but tiles would mean a quick swish of the mop and it would be properly clean...

No comments:

Post a Comment