Saturday, March 19, 2016

THE PLOT 5

Spring has arrived in month, and just in season. The weather is stiller, a little warmer, and sunnier. Well - for a few days... I planted the last of my first early potatoes - Casablanca - the second weekend of the month, despite having a hacky-cough. Behind them is my broad bean and garlic patch, doing well...


I shall be planting my main crop and salad spuds shortly. My fruit area is going well also - I have hoed the weeds, the rhubarb and blackcurrants are shooting and gooseberry bushes are fed, mulched and pruned. The raspberry canes are beginning to bud, also. The green posts are ready to hang net from when the fruits arrive.




The next photo shows my artichoke and onion patch - all planted up. I need to do the edges, though. Some of the onions are already shooting. Behind that is my cold frame, which I may not bother with next year as it is too much trouble fastening it down in winds. I also have the poly tunnel and patio greenhouse at home now. This is filled with broad beans, garlic and a pair of lemongrasses.


My final shot for today shows my three raised beds and the area where my excess onions were planted next to the two blackcurrant bushes. The one closest is filled with straw laden horse muck and the runners/new plants. The next one back is empty of fruit and will contain flowers, melon and squash. The one furthest back has the old strawberry plants in.

You can also view my weed bin - which shall soon be emptied out and a new bag replace the old to be filled only with weeds - not the plastic muck the former plotster left in the weed bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment