Sunday, May 17, 2015

GARDEN GLIMPSES 18



This shot shows the success of transplanting my father's weirdly placed group of 'flowering onions'. I have no idea whether or not they are edible or flowers from onion-like bulbs, merely that that is what he called them. he expected them to surface and shoot into big purple floral heads each year - but - for some strange reason - placed them in his veggie plot area. I therefore dug them out and transplanted them as soon as the yard became mine.


Above you can see the back yard. Whether you view it as a beautiful array of natural over growth, a combination of wildness and man-made areas, or a mess depends on your viewpoint. My father would have had a total fit, much preferring neatness to naturalness. Now the property belongs to me and I prefer nature to 'show garden' neatness.

While I do plan to 'trim' the grass that has grown around the bird bath and my veg plots and use the cuttings for my compost, I have no intention of pruning the giant cooking apple tree more than once every 5 years, no intention of cutting back the giant holly that overhangs from next door, no intention of chopping out - thought I may cut back - the tree with pinky-mauve conical blossoms, and no intention of creating a show garden. I like the way bluebells pop up around the bird bath, the apple tree and holly/mauve-tree blend together, and honeysuckle falls over the fence as a backdrop to my veg plot.



That last shot is an update on my vegetables. It also shows how the flowering onions are about to flower and a small row of 'somethings' that blend in with the grass. Those somethings have come up this year - but were planted last year. Therefore, I cannot recall what they are. From the growth so far I assume them to be chive, spring onion, or onion...probably spring onion... I shall wait and see. This photo also shows clearer the grass patch that I aim to snip into submission shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment