Wednesday, February 4, 2015

WINTER WONDERS 25

It was time to stop messing about in my pantry and get some serious work done. I began by sanding down the airing cupboard and bathroom doors, ready to paint in Tibetan Gold. They stayed that way for around a week, before I finally gave them their first coat of the bright golden yellow paint. 


It was 2 days later that I top-coated them and had 'done' the western end of the upper hallway - leaving the eastern side untouched. This will not be as bad, as my son lives in the western side - so when I polyfill, sand, paint, etc, I will not be as likely to disturb his daytime sleeping. This also means that there is no reason why I cannot go right ahead and DO the last chunk of hallway except for laziness - oh!, yes, AND the fact I need to buy another tin of Tibetan Gold gloss! I have a toilet door, blanket box, windowsill, and loft-lid to paint with only a tiny amount of paint left in the tin.

February arrived and I noted that the window cleaner had not visited in January. He skipped one month in 2014, also. The weather has not been behaving itself and he had indoor decorating jobs on last time; I have yet to discover why he failed to appear in January.

Along with the fact that in Australia one tends to only clean the windows once or maybe twice a year, it makes me wonder why the English custom is to have ones windows done monthly. Maybe it is not the case all over the country - but my father had his windows done since being too elderly to safely climb a ladder, and the neighbors all get theirs done monthly, too.

Maybe the fact that in Aussie many properties are single-story, not just the 'bungalows' - or perhaps the fact that one has less emphasis on the exterior and more on the interior in Australia. Either way, personally, my main reason for retaining the family window cleaner once dad died is that it is hard to take good photos with bird poop all over the place.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment