Wednesday, March 8, 2017

OUTDOORS 14


This was my view from the kitchen window until 2 days ago. My father might have been a professional gardener for most of his life and been able to grow many plants - but - his landscaping skills were not in tune with my own choices.

Planting a giant palm tree outside a window to obliterate the view for example, just does not sit well with me. I could not see the pond properly unless leaving the kitchen and going into the coffee lounge...

The right hand side fence was one main goal of 2017 for me - to plant a hedge along it, consisting of rose bushes from around the yard, yew cuttings and whatever I could find. Beyond the bird bath, next to the poly tunnel might be a better place for the palm tree - and preferably horizontal instead of vertical!

On the third Monday of February, I explained to Liz that I had planned to cut the palm tree down that very day - until spotting a wren collecting nesting material and seemingly staying inside the debris surrounding the tree to build a nest. She persuaded me to go ahead and chop it down, as the nest could not be finished YET...

After our coffees, I could not spot the wren around the tree - so went outside and did so! Luckily the old tree saw in the now collapsing leaky shed still functioned and after 5-10 minutes, I had managed to saw through far enough to topple the tree safely to the ground.


Now, I could see the entire back yard from kitchen or coffee lounge window, without having to look through both! There was also more light for the coffee lounge windowsill plants!



No comments:

Post a Comment